Thursday, January 31, 2008

Day 26: Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors

Today's Baseball Song of the Day comes from an interview of the Indie British Alt-Punk Band called the Editors. It turns out that watching late night tv is actually good for something. In this case, for getting a new fan of baseball.

The Editors got their very first single to sell out in only 24 hours. The song, "Bullets," flew off the shelf faster than botox at a Beverly Hills pharmacy. It was an incredible selling until you find out that they only made 500 singles of the song. They followed that up with the song, "Munich" which they later performed on the Conan O'Brien show. It seems their fond of late night telly. In January of 2008, they were nominated for a Brit Award for...get this...of all things, Best British Group.

The following is an excerpt from an interview in the Seattle Times,

Q: Do you have any plans for Detroit?

A: I've already been to my favorite place, which is the Magic Stick. I don't know. I'd quite like to go to the Detroit Tigers. I'd quite like to go and watch them play. I'm a bit of a baseball guy. They've got that new field.

Q: How did you become a baseball fan? Seems a little odd for a guy who grew up in Ipswich.

A: When I had a [crappy] job, I was trying to break the monotony by staying up really late and going out with my friends and stuff, and whenever I would get back home, they would have late-night sports on this TV channel. And it was invariably American sports because of the time delay. So I'd get in at midnight and there's a game just starting, so I used to watch all sorts. Ice hockey was pretty good, but it's very difficult to see. I had very bad reception on my telly so you could never see the puck. So I settled for baseball because it's boring enough to send you off to sleep and you don't really miss anything if you do fall asleep for a bit and then wake up. It's still going on and not much happened. Great boredom sport.

Q: What's your favorite team?

A: For some reason, I was quite into the Arizona Diamondbacks. I don't really understand why. All my different favorite teams are in different cities. My favorite football team is the Chicago Bears because I used to have a Chicago Bears top; it was a picture of a teddy bear holding a football running along on my Chicago Bears jersey. So I followed them. Then I have the Toronto Maple Leafs because I don't really understand why they're called the Maple Leafs and not the Maple Leaves. So I dig them.

..................................................................................

There best showing to date in the UK Charts is today's BSOD. SOtHD reached #7 on the UK singles chart.

To view the video for the song, click here.



BSOD 26: Smokers Outside the Hospital Doors
Artist: Editors
Album: An End Has a Start
Released: June 2007

Smokers Outside the Hospital Doors Lyrics

Pull the blindfold down
So your eyes can't see
Now run as fast as you can
Through this field of trees

Say goodbye to everyone
You have ever known
You are not gonna see them ever again

I can't shake this feeling I've got
My dirty hands, have I been in the wars?
The saddest thing that I'd ever seen
Were smokers outside the hospital doors

Someone turn me around
Can I start this again?

How can we wear our smiles
With our mouths wide shut
'Cause you stopped us from singin'

I can't shake this feeling I've got
My dirty hands, have I been in the wars?
The saddest thing that I'd ever seen
Were smokers outside the hospital doors

Someone turn me around
Can I start this again?
Now someone turn us around
Can we start this again?

We've all been changed
From what we were
Our broken parts
Left smashed off the floor

I can't believe you
If I can't hear you
I can't believe you
If I can't hear you

We've all been changed
From what we were
Our broken parts
Smashed off the floor

We've all been changed
From what we were
Our broken parts
Smashed off the floor

Someone turn me around
(We've all been changed from what we were)
Can I start this again?
(Our broken parts smashed off the floor)
Now someone turn us around
(We've all been changed from what we were)
Can we start this again?
(Our broken parts smashed off the floor)

No comments:

AddThis

Bookmark and Share