Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Day 11: I'll Show You a Thing or Two

Five years ago today, Major League Baseball owners established a minimum age of 14 for bat boys. Previously, there was no minimum age required to be a bat boy. This change came coming off the 2002 World Series in which there was a near collision at home plate involving the son of the San Francisco Giants Manager Dusty Baker. Four year old Darren Baker, ran out to grab OF Kenny Lofton's bat after Lofton hit a triple to right center field. J.T. Snow and David Bell were both on base when Lofton hit the ball and Snow rounding third and coming home, quickly grabbed Darren and carried him out of the way to protect him from any collision from himself or Bell at home plate.

Quotes from USA Today
10/24/2002

"He wanted to get out there so quickly," the elder Baker said. "He had been arguing with the other batboys as to who would get Kenny Lofton's bat. When I got back to the clubhouse, the first call I got was from my mom. And she said I better thank J.T."


"I saw a little flash, and I knew it was him," Snow said. "I have a 4 1/2-year-old, so I know how to reach them when they're trying to get away. I grabbed him by the neck of his jacket and carried him away. His eyes were huge. I don't think he knew what was going on."

..................................................................................................................................................

Today's Baseball Song of the Day is from Bat Boy the Musical, which is about a Weekly World News story about a half boy / half bat who was found living in a cave. The story got the attention of writers Keythe Farley and Brian Flemming who then penned it for a stage adaptation, and from there it went on to become a musical which premiered on Halloween in 1997.



BSOD 11: I'll Show You a Thing or Two
Artist: Cast Recording
Album: Bat Boy: The Musical
Released: 2001

A snippet of the lyrics from "I'll Show You a Thing or Two"

DR.PARKER: Perhaps I should have a word with the boy.
Let me talk to him over here for a moment!
I'll show you a thing or two. Sure, kid, you feel weary.
Head's all fuzzy and bleary.
I know you're leery. But here's my theory.
Keep sluggin'- that's how it's done.
Soon you're bound to break through!
And whaddaya know, you may-

No comments:

AddThis

Bookmark and Share