Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Day 17: I'll Take You Home

Trivia Question...Can you name a baseball player who also is in the Rock & Roll Hall of fame? Another hint, this multi-talented person received the Order of the Palmetto, which is the highest award a civilian can receive (in the state of South Carolina). He also participated in the Normandy Invasion, and received four bronze stars. Although he was a pitcher, he'd be proud to raise his WHIP ratio by letting you know that his musical team offered up the following hits: Save the Last Dance for Me, There Goes My Baby, Money Honey, Up On the Roof, Under the Boardwalk, Some Kind of Wonderful, This Magic Moment, Such a Night, Honey Love, and even White Christmas (featured later in the movie Home Alone).

Answer: Bill Pinkney of The Drifters. Pinkney pitched from 1949 to 1951 in the Negro Baseball League with the New York Blue Sox.

This past Sunday, The South Carolina Department of Transportation dedicated a portion of old US Highway 521 in Dalzell to Bill Pinkney. Between Highway 441 and Charles Jackson Road, part of Highway 521 will be named "Bill Pinkney of the Original Drifters Memorial Highway" in honor of the legendary singer.

So in honor of the road that will now take many people home bearing his name - is today's baseball song of the day.

BSOD 17: I'll Take You Home
Artist: The Drifters
Album: tbd
Released: 1963

Everybody knows you came with him but another girl caught his eye-ee-eye (I'll take you home)
Now you're sitting there all alone watching them dance by (I'll take you home)
And I know you're wondering what you'll do if he doesn't come back to you
But, don't worry, I'll take you home so, little girl, don't you be blue

Now I know that you wore that pretty red dress just for him to see (I'll take you home)
Mm-mm-yeah
But I wanna tell ya that red dress looks good to me (I'll take you home)
Whoa, I know you feel like you wanna die but try pretending that I'm your guy
And don't worry, I'll take you home so, little girl, now don't you cry

I'll take you home when the dance is over
I'll take you home, just wait and see
You're gonna dance the last dance with me

Let me tell you now

I know the way that you feel, I can understand (I'll take you home)
Mm-mm-mm
'cause I had a date just like you when the dance began (I'll take you home)
But the girl I came with just wasn't true, she's the girl who took him from you
So you see now, I'll take you home 'cause little girl, I'm lonely, too

Ohhhhhhh, let me tell you now

I know the way that you feel, I can understand (I'll take you home)
Mm-mm-mm
'cause I had a date just like you when the dance began (I'll take you home)
But the girl I came with just wasn't true, she's the girl who took him from you
So you see now, I'll take you home 'cause, little girl, I'm lonely, too

Whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh
I'll take you home 'cause, little girl, I'm lonely, too
Mm-mm, mm-mm, yeah

I'll take you home 'cause, little girl, I'm lonely, too



Links of Note:

http://www.vocalgroup.org/inductees/the_drifters.html

http://browneyedhandsomeman.blogspot.com/2007/07/original-drifters-come-to-rest-bill.html

http://www.originaldrifters.com/

No comments:

AddThis

Bookmark and Share